Menomonee Falls Now
May 27th 2015
Menomonee Falls, WI
With longer days and warmer nights on tap, Wisconsin summers are perfect for getting outside and entertaining, but they are also perfect for pests like mosquitoes, flies and various stinging insects to join in on the fun. Whether you’re picnicking at the park, relaxing on the patio or grilling in the backyard, you don’t want unwanted visitors to crash your party. As you’re planning your outdoor summer festivities, homeowners may want to take some preventative actions against summer pests.
Six secrets to pest-free outdoor entertaining:
Get A Free Quote
1. Eliminate pest places. These are spaces where pests can settle in and make themselves at home
How? Check screens and windows for holes and repair them; remove tires and artificial water containers; and store wood at least 25 feet away from home.
2. Reduce standing water. Water attracts all kinds of pests, so remove it from your entertaining areas.
How? Pay attention to water in your ditches and sprinklers, and change water in birdbaths at least once a week.
3. Save food for your guests not pests. Just like water, food attracts pests.
How? Keep food covered and sealed, and remove other sources of food – like garbage bags – from around the home.
4. Adjust the lighting. Some lights – like fluorescent and halogen – are more attractive to pests than others.
How? Replace outdoor lighting with low pressure and sodium vapor bulbs.
5. Keep up with home maintenance. When it comes down to it, pests – like your guests – enjoy places they can sit down, have some food and stay a while, but regular home and yard maintenances make their stay less comfortable.
How? Keep your rain gutters unclogged; your flat roof dry; and your shrubs, flowers and grassy areas weeded and sprayed.
6. Be a hospitable host. If bugs are bugging you, chances are they are bugging your guests. Be prepared and be conscientious.
How? Provide your guests with insect repellent and, most importantly, be aware of what time of day it is – mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk. Consider planning afternoon barbeques and cookouts to avoid the swarms!
With these six tips, you’ll be on your way to summer entertaining in a setting that’s great for guests, not pests.
Did you use one our tips in preparation for your outdoor summer party? Let us know how it worked us! We’d love to hear from you!
View the original source here.
Contact Wil-Kil for pest control this summer.