Contact: Julie Caan
Local pest management company can provide tips to prevent obtaining bed bugs during the popular holiday travel season
Sun Prairie, Wis., November 21, 2013…As Thanksgiving, the busiest travel day of the year, approaches the pest control experts at Wil-Kil Pest Control, the Upper Midwest’s quality leader in pest management, share timely bed bug prevention tips.
Over the 12-day Thanksgiving travel period, according to Airlines for America (AAA), over 25 million people will take flight. And even more will be driving and riding the rails to kick off the start of the busy holiday travel season. During key travel times, bed bug infestations can increase rapidly as bugs can cling to clothes, hide in luggage and even take up residence in high-end hotels. Whether visiting relatives, a five-star hotel or a popular holiday attraction such as the movie theatre, the company advises travelers to be on the lookout for bed bugs.
“Over the past year we have seen a spike in bed bug populations. However, it is important to fight bed bugs not with fear, but with education and proactive action,” said Randy Allen, regional manager for Wil-Kil Pest Control. “As individuals and families continue to travel both locally and globally, the risk for bed bug infestations rapidly increases. Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs are not associated with uncleanliness and can take up residence in high class hotels, retail stores, movie theatres and even in modes of public transportation.”
This holiday travel season, Allen recommends taking a few simple precautions to avoid the most unwanted holiday gift of all – an encounter with these hitch-hiking, blood sucking parasites.
Wil-Kil Pest Control’s Bed Bug Prevention Tips
- Thorough inspection of the entire room with a flashlight before unpacking, including behind the headboard, under lights and inside dressers, drawers, sofas and chairs
- Avoid placing suitcases on hotel floors or the hotel bed – the safest place is in the bathroom or on a luggage rack after it has been thoroughly inspected
- Check hotel bed sheets and mattress seams, particularly at the corners, for unusual blood spots upon arriving
- If you notice bed bugs in your room, immediately notify management and request to change rooms
- Inspect suitcases for any signs of bed bugs before entering your home
- Tip: pack clothes in zip lock bags for easy cleaning upon return home
- Vacuum suitcases thoroughly before bringing indoors and storing away
- Wash all clothes – even those items that were not worn – in hot water to remove any bed bugs or eggs that may have traveled home
- Tip: dry clean only clothes should be thrown in the dryer and run on high heat for at least 30 minutes
For more information about bed bugs and Wil-Kil’s prevention tips, please visit: http://www.wil-kil.com/bed-bug-services
About Wil-Kil Pest Control
Wil-Kil Pest Control, founded in 1924, is a regional pest management company that provides quality pest management for residential and commercial properties throughout the Upper Midwest. Wil-Kil utilizes the latest technologies and techniques of Integrated Pest Management methods while delivering customized programs with personalized service. The pest control company has earned the reputation of being “The Upper Midwest’s Quality Leader” in pest management. Wil-Kil is an operating division of Copesan Services, Inc, with offices located in Sun Prairie, Menomonee Falls, Eau Claire and Appleton, Wis. For more information, please visit www.wil-kil.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.