It’s happened to us all before; we’re sitting inside a restaurant and a fly buzzes over our food. In your local pizza dive, you might expect this and it might seem normal. But should it be? Having flies buzzing around the food that you eat is not safe, whether you are in a commercial diner or in your own kitchen, these insects can pose dangers to your health.
So you may be asking, “are flies dangerous?” They seem innocuous enough and flies themselves don’t physically harm you; very few flies will bite or sting, especially not the flies we come into contact on a regular basis here in Wisconsin. But cluster flies, house flies and stable flies (among others) are known for spreading at least 200 known pathogens and parasites to humans; so the answer is yes – flies are dangerous! These flies frequent trash cans, decaying flesh, rotting food and manure. They pick up any pathogens that are present in these areas and then can transfer them to wherever they land – whether it is the surfaces we touch or the food we eat. Some diseases known to be spread by flies include typhoid, cholera and dysentery, just to name a few.
Having just a couple of flies in your home or business can seem like a minor problem, but when flies start breeding, more and more flies will appear very quickly, making what seemed like a small problem into a very large problem in no time. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do around your home and business to help prevent flies from taking over. These fly prevention tips include:
- Check the mesh screens around doors and windows; they should be free from punctures and should fit securely to keep out invading insects.
- Install an oscillating fan to discourage fly activity in specific areas of the home or commercial environment.
- Remove any items inside that are attracting flies. This can include rotting food and dirty drains. Take out the trash regularly, thoroughly clean sinks and never leave food out in the open for extended periods.
- Clean and sanitize kitchens and bathrooms regularly. Pick up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen and pay close attention to areas underneath and behind appliances.
- Regularly clean up pet waste from around your property.
- Install sodium vapor lighting in outdoor light fixtures to attract fewer insects.
- Remove rotting fruits and vegetables from outdoor gardens.
Following these fly prevention tips can go a long way in the prevention of flies in your home or business.
No matter if you are simply trying to keep flies out of your home to protect the health of your family, or if you run a restaurant and want to protect your reputation, fly control is a must! For home and business fly control, Appleton WI pest management professionals at Wil-Kil are an excellent choice. We can help eliminate all kinds of flies and offer recommendations to remove the environments that allow flies to breed. Wil-Kil also offers services to get rid of bed bugs, termites, rodents and other insects from both homes and businesses.