Menomonee Falls Now
April 28, 2013
There are few rites of spring more satisfying than the annual clean. As families throughout Wisconsin begin deep cleaning their homes and opening up their summer cabins during the next few weeks, it is important to keep pest prevention top-of-mind. After a stormy winter with consistent cool weather, warmth and moisture-seeking pests are already becoming active and visible across the upper Midwest including Asian beetles, ants, spiders and especially box elder bugs, which are expected to be out in big numbers. Pest prevention is key to promoting a healthy and safe home and should top every homeowner’s to do list!
The experts at Wil-Kil Pest Control, a local pest management company serving all of Southeastern Wisconsin, want to help you make the most out of your spring cleaning session.
Get A Free Quote
- Look for dark, moist spots, which can harbor a variety of pests.
- Insects congregate around dead plants, weeds and fallen branches. These need to be picked or raked up.
- Collect any unnecessary containers around the yard that could become sources of standing water.
- Trim all overgrown bushes, shrubs and excess foliage – especially those around the house.
- Gutters can become a breeding source for mosquitoes and other moisture loving pests. Practice proper gutter maintenance and moisture control to prevent these critters from developing in your gutters.
- When mulching, avoid placing the mulch too close to the perimeter of the home to avoid risk of an infestation moving indoors.
- While cleaning, check your home for general degradation that could lead to a pest infestation. This includes cracks in the foundation, rotting wood, mold growth and excess moisture.
- Check screens for signs of damage. Also, make sure screens are properly installed on windows and doors.
- Don’t forget under doors! Missing door sweeps or damaged thresholds allow insects and mice to enter the home.
Check cupboards and nooks & crannies:
- Wipe away any spills, crumbs or outdated food in cupboards. Insects such as ants, roaches, Indian meal moths or other pantry pests can live and breed on just a small amount of spilled material. Deep clean cupboards now!
- Clear out plastic or paper grocery bags, as they also make great harborages for many kinds of pests.
- Inspect and dispose of old storage boxes that not only clutter the home, but can also can play host to pests.
Happy spring cleaning! A healthy home, is a happy home.
About Wil-Kil Pest Control
Wil-Kil Pest Control, founded in 1924, is a regional pest management company that provides quality pest management for residential and commercial properties throughout the Upper Midwest. Wil-Kil utilizes the latest technologies and techniques of Integrated Pest Management methods while delivering customized programs with personalized service. The pest control company has earned the reputation of being “The Upper Midwest’s Quality Leader” in pest management. Wil-Kil is an operating division of Copesan Services, Inc, with offices located in Sun Prairie, Menomonee Falls, Eau Claire and Appleton, Wis. For more information, please visit www.wil-kil.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.