As the weather warms up in Minnesota and Wisconsin, you may start to notice the emergence of some little black and red bugs in your home. There’s a very good chance that these are boxelder bugs, nuisance pests that may have overwintered inside your home, unbeknownst to you. When they start to feel the warm spring sun on your home, they come out from wherever they were hiding and start to become active again.
As boxelder bugs become active, they will start hovering around the windows on the sunny side of your home, looking for a way back into nature. What can you do to get rid of boxelder bugs and prevent them in the future? Here are a few tips from the professionals at Wil-Kil Pest Control.
- Vacuum. You can clean these pests up by vacuuming them up. This can be a time-consuming and labor intensive method for box elder bug control.
- Close up gaps and cracks in the exterior of your home. That’s how these bugs got into your home in the first place, so close the areas up so you don’t get any more!
- Install a chimney cap to keep these bugs and other pests out.
- Make sure all window and door screens are free of holes and rips. Pests will find their way indoors through these areas as well.
- Have a preventative treatment performed in August or September by your local Wisconsin, Minnesota or Illinois to make sure these pests don’t find their way inside your home next year!
If you have a large mass of these annoying insects inside your home, unfortunately there is very little a pest control professional can do to entirely eliminate the infestation in the spring. Because the pests are already inside your walls, the best way to eliminate them is to destroy the pests that emerge in the spring. The very best thing you can do to prevent boxelder bugs in the future is to contact Wil-Kil during the late summer to schedule a preventative treatment.
For more information on our box elder control services in Eau Claire and surrounding areas, contact us today!