Menomonee Falls Now
March 21st, 2013
Although it may be blustery outside, spring break and Easter travel are right around the corner. Beginning March 29, the Menomonee Falls Public School District will go on its spring recess.
Area students, individuals and families with travel plans need to be mindful of bed bug prevention methods as they travel both locally and globally this spring. One of the most common ways of encountering bed bugs is in a hotel room. During key travel times, bed bug infestations can increase rapidly as bugs can cling to clothes, hide in luggage, and even take up residence in high-end hotels.
“Bed bugs are a year-round national problem, due primarily to an increase in global travel and difficulty in proper treatment methods,” said Randy Allen, regional manager of Wil-Kil Pest Control located in Menomonee Falls. “With the busy spring travel season upon us, it is important to be knowledgeable about bed bugs and take precautionary measures whenever you can.”
Allen advised that individuals should take precautions against bed bugs both during travel and after returning home.
When Checking into a Hotel Room:
- Pull back all of the bedding at the head of the bed near the headboard to look for bed bugs and fecal stains (usually black spots).
- Check the underside of the mattress piping and tags.
- Check the seams and piping of the box spring.
- If possible, lift up the headboard and remove it from the wall to inspect the back of it. This may take two people.
- If bed bug evidence is found, report it immediately to hotel management and ask for another room.
Prevention Methods for Returning Home:
- Avoid setting your suitcase on the bed while unpacking.
- Immediately launder all clothing.
- Using the high heat setting in the dryer for at least 20 minutes kills all life stages of bed bugs. If you have items that cannot be laundered, like shoes and backpacks, place those in he dryer.
- Using a flash light, perform a close inspection of all items that cannot be laundered or placed in the dryer, such as your suitcase.
- After unpacking, avoid storing luggage in your bedroom closet.
- If you want to take extra care, some pesticides can be used on your suitcase. These products can be found at hardware stores or online.
Allen also added that, while individuals should not fear bed bugs while traveling, they should be aware of the ways in which they can easily be prevented. Performing quick visual inspects and taking precautionary methods upon returning home can make a great impact in the fight against bed bugs.
About Wil-Kil Pest Control
Wil-Kil Pest Control, located in Menomonee Falls, is a regional pest management company that provides quality pest management for residential and commercial properties throughout the Upper Midwest. Wil-Kil utilizes the latest technologies and techniques of Integrated Pest Management methods while delivering customized programs with personalized service. The pest control company has earned the reputation of being “The Upper Midwest’s Quality Leader” in pest management. Wil-Kil is an operating division of Copesan Services, Inc, with offices located in Sun Prairie, WI, Menomonee Falls, WI, Eau Claire, WI and Appleton, WI. For more information, please visit www.wil-kil.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.