Mosquitoes in Wisconsin are out for blood! Okay, so really its just female mosquitoes and that’s because they need it in order to reproduce but the fact remains they are out this summer and are invading bbq’s and other outdoor events leaving behind annoying (potentially dangerous) mosquito bites.
Fun fact about mosquitoes; these pests are actually a type of fly. Though both male and female mosquitoes feed on nectar, only females have mouthparts that can puncture skin. They do so to feed on human and animal blood, which as previously mentioned is necessary for their reproduction efforts. More concerning than the irritation left behind after one of these pesky bugs bite is the known relationship between mosquitoes and the West Nile virus. You see, mosquitoes are known transmitters of the West Nile Virus, which is a potentially fatal disease. Symptoms include headache, fever and body aches. According to the CDC, non-human West Nile virus infections have already been reported in Wisconsin this summer and in 2012, there were 44 cases of West Nile virus neuroinvasive disease cases reported. Because of this, we can’t emphasize enough how important it is to protect your family from mosquito bites when you head outdoors. In fact, our Wisconsin pest control specialists have put together a few mosquito prevention tips.
Get A Free Quote
- Avoid going outside at dawn, dusk and early evenings, as mosquito activity is quite high during these times of day.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing (preferably long sleeves and pants) and shoes.
- Apply an insect repellent that contains DEET (check with pediatrician first) often.
- Eliminate standing water on your property (i.e. turn over kiddie pools, move items that collect rainwater, clear debris out of gutters, correct stagnant water issues etc.).
- Encourage your neighbors to do the same. Mosquitoes travel quite a distance for a blood meal!
Given their nature, you can’t eliminate the possibility of encountering mosquitoes this summer but you can be more proactive. And, if you find yourself swatting at annoying mosquitoes, contact Wil-Kil to see how we can help you with mosquito control. Offering pest control in Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Eau Claire as well as throughout Wisconsin, we can help you get rid of mosquitoes and other summer pests including ants and stinging insects.